On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 06:52:55PM +0200, Lubos Lunak wrote: > Thinking of this, how should this actually happen, in practice? Config files > are written first to a temporary file and this file gets renamed to the > original name, atomically replacing the old file. How exactly should it > happen that the original file gets destroyed but the new file doesn't manage > to replace it properly? > the metadata is safe. but the contents of the new file might not be on disk yet. XFS is/was particularly susceptible to this type of data loss. so fdatasync() is indeed the solution. probably, one should analyse how things look over nfs. not that i expect any problems with nfs >= 3. -- Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into your ~/.signature, please! -- Chaos, panic, and disorder - my work here is done. >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<