List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Multimedia in KDE 3.5.8
From:       Andreas Pakulat <apaku () gmx ! de>
Date:       2007-09-30 23:45:54

On 30.09.07 14:50:23, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> We now have a very serious
> problem with the Adobe Flash NS Plugin.  The current release of GNOME
> breaks this totally -- it is unusable.  Yes, this isn't supposed to
> happen, but it does.

Thats what you get for using proprietary software :P Seriously though as
far as I followed the thread this is something that needs fixing in
flash.

> >> This is also a theory that I would disagree with.  We should not
> >> release a product that is defective and expect that the distros
> >> will fix it.
> >
> > Well, as I said fixing 3.5.8 (if it really needs fixing, which I
> > doubt, I strongly suspect a local problem on your pc, at least for
> > the libogg-thing) is not possible and KDE4 is going to be released at
> > the end of the year.
>
> The excuses for shipping a shoddy product just keep getting ... . :-|

Then go ahead and fix it, as far as I can see KDE3 modules are mostly
dead except for important bugfixes. And as far as I know there's no new
release, thus no way of introducing a new dependecy. Thats no excuse,
thats just a fact.

> > I doubt there will be another 3.5.x release, so this discussion is
> > just pointless. If distro's find themselves in a situation where they
> > need to fix kdemultimedia from kde3 because of whatever reason they
> > will either do that (possibly communicating with us about possible
> > fixes) or they will just drop kdemultimedia-kde3 and tell users to
> > use the kde4 version.
>
> I seriously doubt that many people will adopt KDE-4.0.0.  Maybe 4.1.1.
> So, I would recommend that we continue maintenance releases.

We don't have the manpower to do so. We barely have the manpower to do
the 4.0 release. If you can find a few dozen hackers to help out with
that, go ahead.

> >> Those are the current version numbers.  The question is whether you
> >>  built them and KDE from source or did a distro fix something. :-)
> >
> > No, I didn't. But libogg didn't change their SOVERSION and thus the
> > library should be
>
> Yes, it *should be*.  You don't seem to understand.

The majority of our dependecies do work responsible and increase the
SOVERSION on BiC changes (openssl being a famous exception from this)

> > binary compatible. Also kde-stuff wasn't rebuilt after the last
> > libogg update, which indicates that indeed libogg is binary
> > compatible to its predecessor.
>
> WHAT?  If you have new headers, stuff gets rebuilt -- doesn't it???

Uhm, no. I mean, in a way yes, but all that happens is a recompilation
against the new headers. However as these headers keep BC and thus keep
SC as well, as far as the currently used parts of libogg go there's no
problem recompiling the code that uses libogg. Only if libogg authors
decide to change a function that our code uses (which is a SiC and
usually also BiC change) we can't compile against the headers anymore.
That OTOH means they have to increase their SOVERSIO and then you can
install old and new library side by side.

Andreas

--
You will have domestic happiness and faithful friends.