List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Multimedia in KDE 3.5.8 {Follow Up}
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2007-09-30 22:16:17

James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Please discuss on kde-devel.
>
> IIUC, we are making a new release.  I agree that this is needed.  We
> should continue to make bug fix released and maintenance releases at
> least till 4.0.0 is released.
>
> I notice that we have some maintenance issues in KDEMultimedia.
>
> We do not appear to support the new MusicBrainz/TunePimp.  IIUC, there
> is a new server and a new protocol and that the old server is going to
> be taken down soon.

Well, I don't know what to do about this.  But aren't we going to use
MusicBrainz-3 in KDE-4?  So, can't we backport when it is done?

> We do not appear to support the latest releases of Ogg/Vorbis.  However,
> MP3 works on OK with KDE players on my system.

I said appear because I wasn't sure -- I upgraded and ....  I would say
that I have a rather odd bug.  Ogg files will not play with any of the
players that ship _with_ KDE-3.5 BRANCH.  Everything else I have (and
that is a lot) except that I haven't finished upgrading Amarok will play
Ogg files and FLAC files play OK with the KDE shipping apps that won't
play Ogg.  I even tried the command line player: AkodePlay.  It plays
Ogg perfectly, so there is something wrong somewhere in the KDE SVN.  I
hope that it is only on my system.

> I do not know the current status of aRts vs GLib.  I was running 1.5.1
> with Fedora patches which seemed to work OK.  I am currently trying the
> SVN 1.5 BRANCH without patches built against GLib-2.14.1 to see if it
> will work.  If not, I will try to find some patches for a version newer
> than 1.5.1.

I am very pleased to say that I built aRts 1.5 BRANCH SVN against
GLib-2.14.1 and then built KDE 3.5 BRANCH SVN against them and sound
seems to work OK except for the Ogg issue.  Apparently aRts and/or GLib
seem to have been fixed. :-D

--
JRT