List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE3 thai word break: KLibLoader --> QLibrary
From:       "Pattara Kiatisevi \(list\)" <pattara-list () mm ! co ! th>
Date:       2007-09-29 13:33:12

Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Pattara Kiatisevi (list) wrote:
>
>> We did that. http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=444284 .
>>
>> However, without considering about distributions, wouldn't it be
>> technically better to not require libthai.la?
>>

> We can only do that if we don't use libltld's library-loading methods.
> It's them that require the .la files. And KDE 3 is based around that. So
> it's a distro bug if they make KDE 3 stop working -- it's been working
> for years like that.

Right, maybe it's distro problem. But from the upstream point of view,
is there any particular problem or inferior technical point of using
QLibrary instead of KLibLoader?

>> And for Qt4/KDE4, isn't it better to use QLibrary::resolve("thai", 0,
>> "th_brk") so that it will go for libthai.so.0
>> directly, eliminating the need to have libthai.so (which is normally in
>> development package)?
>>

> What happens when libthai.so.1 gets released?

When libthai.so.1 gets released, as the major lib number has changed,
some APIs might have changed in a non backward compatible way,
hence it's time to look at the Qt/KDE code to make sure that this
th_brk() function will still work in libthai.so.1, and manually change
the Qt/KDE code to load version 1.

Otherwise if we load libthai.so, when libthai.so.1 come out, it will either
continue to work or fail silently?

On one hand it is a little difficult to explain why users
need to install libthai-dev just to *use* KDE. On the other hand we
don't want to bother KDE/Qt developers too often when libthai has released
its new major version  (although I don't think that will happen often
though).

P'Thep (libthai developer): any comment?

Btw, we are setting up a team here in Thailand to look at various
Thai-related
problems in Qt4/KDE4 so that it will come out with good Thai support.
Here's
the first report from us (sorry, in Thai..) that illustrates current
status of Thai
support: http://suriyan.longdo.com/docs/kde4-qt4-investigation-200709.pdf .
Comments/advice are very welcome.

Pattara