List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Status of Kat
From:       "Egon Willighagen" <egon.willighagen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-09-27 12:31:14

Hi Ian,

On 9/27/07, Ian Wadham <ianw2@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> A few old posts on this list indicate that the Kat desktop search app
> was dead or dying about 1 year ago and being replaced by Strigi.
> I can find no trace of Kat on LIXR, but I found some old web
> pages about it.

Strictly speaking, Roberto should be the one to declare Kat death (or
not), but he has not been spotted in ages... so, de facto...

> So can any one tell me, is Kat officially dead ... or no longer a KDE
> application ... or what?  And isn't Strigi part of KDE 4.0 and therefore
> not released yet?

Much of Strigi is independent of KDE and 4.0 in particular. It is the
integration into KDE widgets, etc that is KDE 4.0 particular.

But you can start using it now, particularly if you are happy with a
command line interface. Kubuntu comes with a nice GUI tool for KDE
3.5, of which I am not sure if it is in SVN.

Egon

--
----
http://chem-bla-ics.blogspot.com/