List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Replacement for processEvents() call within while loop
From:       Vlad <vladc6 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2007-09-27 0:08:02

Hi,

I'm working on Fuse-KIO for KDE4, and I'd like to ask whether you know
a better approach to doing

while (!helper->done())
{
	fuseApp->processEvents();
}

for filesystem operations in
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/kdenonbeta/fuse_kio/fuse_kio/fuse_kio_ops.cpp?view=markup
.

I think a while loop such as this causes frequent CPU wakeups and
leads to reduced laptop battery life. One way to get around it would
be to make done() emit a signal. The problem is that, once the helper
is done, execution must revert to the function that currently contains
the while loop (ie. fuse_kio_getattr, fuse_kio_readlink,
fuse_kio_getdir, etc). Could this be achieved using threads?

Thank you very much for any suggestions you can offer,

Vlad