List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Walt Mossberg - a recipe
From:       Anne-Marie Mahfouf <annemarie.mahfouf () free ! fr>
Date:       2007-09-23 7:12:06

Hi,

<devel ranting>
We did a Polishing Edu Day for a few KDE-Edu applications. It was advertized
on the Dot.
http://dot.kde.org/1189514559/
However, read the comments on the Dot. "Maybe wrong priorities"
and "KDE-Edu"... From a developer point of view, there's a constant bitching
about what we do. Did we have lots of people happy to help improve KDE4 and
joining, if only to say: "I don't have KDE4 or KDE-Edu 4 but good
initiative!" Very few people came but fortunately the ones who were there
rocked so much that lots of work was done. And we isolated problems about
KNewStuff (kdelibs) for example that we will try to tackle in a next
polishing day.

So next time please pop up to help, there will be more such days. There
was "Help Wanted" big sign!!! And Edu is as part of KDE 4 as Dolphin.
</ranting>

Now the recipe:
Practically, what can you do? It's easy! Write a wiki QA for the application
you want to see polished (say Dolphin).
See http://wiki.30doradus.org/index.php/KStars_Quality_Check it is
self-explanatory. Are all menus and actions items working as expected? Is the
interface intuitive (new users are therefore the best, take a friend of yours
and put him/her in front of Dolphin, it takes 3 minutes to see what (s)he
does with it and to note down comments).
Then point people to that page and ask them to test as much items as possible
in as much situations as possible (a different language than English, ...)
Mark the items being buggy or not. Add a Comment section at the end of the
page.

Regards,

Anne-Marie