List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: voice control software like Dragon Naturally Spekaing
From:       "Jos Poortvliet" <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-09-20 9:43:02

On 9/20/07, Niels Jende <njende@njende.de> wrote:
> Hi KDE-Team,

Hi Niels

> first of all I'd like to say thanks to all of you. The time and effort
> you are putting into KDE is just great.
>
> However, I would like to know if there will be in the near future an
> application in KDE such as Dragon Naturally Speaking.

Linux doesn't really have very good speech recognition engines and I'm
not aware of one under heavy development. Consequently, though KDE
could easily be adapted to support one, there simply isn't such
technology. Writing one wouldn't really be KDE project, as we're
working on GUI related things, using lowerlevel libraries provided by
other projects (this is the famous "standing on the shoulders of
Giants").

> If so, could you peovide me some details?
>
> Regards
> Niels

You might search for and contact projects working on this sort of
technology to find out how mature it is, but I wouldn't expect too
much as of now.