List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Walt Mossberg
From:       Ian Wadham <ianw2 () optusnet ! com ! au>
Date:       2007-09-19 0:00:45

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 02:40 am, Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> This is actually offtopic on this list, but I have been wondering why
> people has been considering this offer as if Dell actually wanted to offer
> Linux to the mainstream public.
>
> They may do so, in time, but the current offering is clearly aimed at us:
> they make sure only people really determined to have a Linux only PC are
> going to get it -- "normal" users are not confronted with the Linux option,
> you can find the offer only if you know what to search for.

Three things give me confidence that Dell is serious about its Linux offering
in the long term.  One is that Michael Dell himself uses Linux, see:
http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS5149877302.html  The article gives
details about his hardware config and software, unlike Walt Mossberg's.

Two is that Dell did a survey of what users want in LInux a few months
back.  Maybe too many "nerdy" guys answered the survey, Luciano ... :-)

Three is that Dell is offering XP as an alternative to Vista on an increasing
range of its machines ...

But KDE definitely does need polishing, judging by the cries for help that
echo through our house when my wife checks her email (KMail) and does
a bit of browsing (Firefox).

If KDE developers know what these problems are (in KDE apps and the
desktop), then please FIX them.  Whilst fixing them might be "boring",
knowing about them and not fixing them is unprofessional IMHO.  Sometimes
you have to do boring stuff to achieve a fully professional outcome.

All the best, Ian W.