List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Walt Mossberg
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2007-09-18 4:58:22

Robert Knight wrote:
> Hello James,
>
> I really do not think this is the best mailing list to discuss press
> feedback about the Linux desktop in general, especially when neither
> the article in question, nor your response deals with KDE directly.

Are you the InterNet Police? :-D

Might I first comment that I seem to have left out a paragraph about
polishing rough edges.

IAC, My point refers back to an earlier posting.

My posting is not about "press feedback", it is about user feedback.
Mossberg writes a column as a *user*, not a reporter (which you would
understand if you read his column) -- it is like a blog that happens to
be published in the WSJ.  As such it is very widely read.  But the issue
is that he does represent the thoughts of may computer users.

Many (or most) developers don't seem to understand why Linux doesn't
achieve a larger share of the desktop market.

I stand by my previous statement that this will happen only when users
such as Mossberg think that a desktop running on it works just as well
as other desktops.  This will happen when we improve the product.

The audience which I address this to is: developers.  Therefore, the
developer list is the most appropriate place to post this (rather than
posting it elsewhere and hoping that developers happen to see it).

Specifically, how is this relevant to KDE?  Well if KDE worked lots
better than GNOME, I could drop him a line and tell him that his opinion
was based on GNOME and that KDE works much better and would solve all of
his issues.

I can't do that yet because I feel that KDE has many rough edges that
need to be polished.  They aren't going to get polished till the KDE
developer community realizes that this needs to be done sometime before
KDE achieves world domination of the desktop.

--
JRT