List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE/kdenetwork/kopete/kopete
From:       "Joshua J. Berry" <des () condordes ! net>
Date:       2007-09-13 5:02:39

On Sunday 09 September 2007 23:16:50 Nick Shaforostoff wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 01:44:51 +0300, Matt Rogers <mattr@kde.org> wrote:
> >> -	if ( scrolledTo >= ( view()->contentsHeight() - 10 ) )
> >> -		d->scrollPressed = false;
> >> -	else
> >> -		d->scrollPressed = true;
> >> +	d->scrollPressed = !( scrolledTo >= ( view()->contentsHeight() - 10
> >> ) );
> >>  }
> >
> > The above change makes the code less readable and therefore less
> > maintainable. Please revert.
>
> are you kidding? there are lots of such 'patterns' in kopete code
> (including ones that not written by me)
>
> its like writing
> if ( boolVar==true )

In my unsolicited, random-C++-developer opinion, that level of verbosity is
just silliness.  I respectfully suggest Matt reconsider his opinion.

I personally find the original less readable, not moreso.  I believe Nick's
change is an improvement because the intent of the code is still clear, and
is expressed in 4x fewer lines.  In my mind that's a net win.

More verbose does not necessarily equal more readable.  Did we learn nothing
from COBOL and Java? :p

-- Josh

--
Joshua J. Berry

"I haven't lost my mind -- it's backed up on tape somewhere."
    -- /usr/games/fortune