List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Gnome
From:       "Jos Poortvliet" <jos () mijnkamer ! nl>
Date:       2007-09-08 15:45:48

On 9/8/07, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo@kde.org> wrote:
> On Friday 07 September 2007, Ian Wadham wrote:
> > Should I be worried about the following, which appeared
> > on my local Linux users' group list?
>
> sounds like the typical immature flunky spouting off. the telltale signs are
> the lack of supporting evidence, the general content free nature of the
> posting and the poster's recognition that it's a flame (ergo the "donning of
> the flame proof suit"). there have been flames like this going back and forth
> for as long as i can remember. they are rarer these days, thankfully. the
> people still engaging in them tend to be the tools of the world.
>
> but really, the only thing i'd be worried about is the health of your local
> LUG's communication channel when it gets filled with such flames.
>
> with kde 4.0 approaching, i expect to see more nervous nellies speaking out
> like this out of concern for their favourite project getting passed by as we
> make a major release.

I think that's what's going on. They might feel comfortable about the
latest Ubuntu versus the latest Kubuntu. Gnome has been catching up
with KDE and I think overall, the current Gnome is pretty comparable
to the current KDE. Their problem, of course, is the fact that the
'current KDE' is 2 years old, and soon there will be a new version.
Which will tip the scales. The guy shouldn't thank the Gnome-devs but
the KDE devs for the long dealy ;-)

Anyway, yes, this creates some uncertainty (nobody knows exactly how
it all will turn out. After all, KDE 4 will really start to shine with
4.1 or 4.2 - still some time away, but it must be scary if you prefer
to see KDE die and Gnome prevail... So ppl become frustrated and
agressive.

Heck, I can be frustrated sometimes, if I see how much money and
resources are poured into Gnome by Red Hat, Novell and Ubuntu. After
all, in my opinion, they're wasting money big time, and I'd rather see
that go to KDE. Would benefit 'the Free Desktop' a lot more that way.

> just keep doing what you're doing and presenting kde well in your area and
> things will shake out.

Indeed. I think this hostility proves that they see it like we see it:
the current Gnome might be mostly on par with KDE 3.5.x, but that
situation won't last long. Don't worry, the whole thing will blow over
- when 4.1 is out, they'll just go back to their mom's basement...