List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Classmate etc compiles
From:       "Gary L. Greene Jr." <greeneg () tolharadys ! net>
Date:       2007-08-30 7:47:16

On Thursday 30 August 2007 12:34:58 am Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> Il Thursday 30 August 2007 05:00:01 Gary L. Greene Jr. ha scritto:
> > Another thing to remember is that the binaries need special build flags
> > to make running them on older hardware bearable. Many distributions do
> > not optimize for speed when they build packages.
>
> On small system, you want to optimize for size...
> if things do not have to swap to disk, you get order of magnitude better
> performance, instead of imperceptible better performance.
>
> Luciano

> >> unsubscribe <<

You misunderstand. When I mean that they do not optimize for speed, I also
mean for size as well as speed. In most distributions they use default build
flags that are intended to generate average performance on most all hardware,
which unfortunately does not work well when you are on extreme ends of the
spectrum, whether it be aiming for low end systems or eking out the highest
speed of your hardware on high end systems.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from: peorth.tolharadys.net