List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Classmate etc compiles
From:       "Elio Cuevas" <elcugo () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-08-29 18:48:37

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

2007/8/28, Luciano Montanaro <mikelima@cirulla.net>:

> > I have the impresion that Linux and KDE are not made for old or lowend
> > machines. Not with a lot of work anyway. New distros are every day
> becoming
> > more and more dificult to install in these machines.
> >

> Linux is used in very small systems too, so there's no problem there. It
> may
> help to tweak the configuration options...

Yes, but it still requires a somewhat powerful system. I guess it's ok since
Linux itself is very powerful that wasn't designed to run embedded and the
fact it can probes its flexibility.

And KDE (KDE3, I mean) can already run quite well on not-too recent
> hardware.
> CPU power is not too important for normal tasks, but more than say 256MiB
> of
> RAM is needed to work without too much swapping. With tweaks, you may have
> minimal, if swap-happy, system with even less memory than that, if you
> take
> care of disabling memory intensive stuff (like, using a solid color as the
> desktop background). I didn't try KDE4 on older systems yet (unless you
> consider my desktop an old system: Athlon 2200, 1GB RAM and Radeon 9250),
> but
> it should not be much worse... or it could be made to work well, maybe
> with
> simpler decorations than Oxygen.

I tried to run KDE3 once in an old system and the experience wasn't very
nice :-(. It was a few years ago so maybe the situation has improved since.

With a bit of work on KDE components, the situation may improve.