List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Classmate etc compiles
From:       Anne-Marie Mahfouf <annemarie.mahfouf () free ! fr>
Date:       2007-08-28 18:13:58

On Tuesday 28 August 2007 18:08:29 Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> Il Tuesday 28 August 2007 17:45:54 Jos Poortvliet ha scritto:
> > On 8/28/07, Elio Cuevas <elcugo@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Maybe Gentoo is for you (http://www.gentoo.org).
>
> Why do you say that? I think gentoo is irrelevant here.
> The point would be to be able to disable certain KDE features at compile
> time that are too cpu-intensive/power-hungry for certain classes of
> machines.
>
> So work has to be done to identify the features that can be sacrificed, or
> the features that have to be added to make KDE a good match to this
> somewhat restricted hardware.
>
> I think this kind of work can be beneficial for more than classmate.

yes, it can be useful for low specs machines.

If those hungry features are listed e.g. on techbase then the company in
charge of installing KDE will be able to tune it. That would be a big bonus
for KDE installations and we can imagine Edu distros using those tunings.

Note: on the Classmate PC there is OpenOffice.org and THAT is hungry. I'd like
to see KOffice in shape for KDE4 in order to take that slot! Not so many
features but working features.
Same for the browser, Konqueror should work at par with Firefox.

Luciano, if you are interested, maybe we could order an OLPC for you to see
how to get Qt and KDE on it.

Anne-Marie