List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: better system logging in kde4?
From:       pol <linux_milano () yahoo ! it>
Date:       2007-08-09 7:09:51

<posted & mailed>

Thiago Macieira wrote:
> pol wrote:
>>so as to be able to fix things by themselves, thus
>> also increasing the opportunity for users to help each other.
> Fix things of this level also means touching the source code and
> recompiling.

It depends on the level of your fixing. Let us take my problem with amarok.
I had problems with the kicker for months, yet only lately i realized that
amarok was so tightly involved.
You say  it could be a problem with dcop. If that was the case, wouldn't be
useful to get a hint at the debugging level? As a user, as i was inspetcing
the .xsession-errors file, i woudl have appreciated a few informative lines
and solved my problem: either sending a dcop command from a terminal or
giving up using amarok permanently.

A few days ago,  after several attempts, i got amarok working again, having
replaced .kde/share/apps/amarok  and .xine/catalog.cache
I  took me  a lot of time inspecting, removing, changing configration files
to solve the problem 'my way'. Although this is amarok-related problemm, I
am wondering if the kde debugging system could provide hints about the
involvemnet  of the .xine/catalog.cache.

Thank you

Pol