List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: The no goto religion
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2007-08-05 10:00:18

Yes, I think that.  Otherwise, I wouldn't have said it. :-)

> Let me quote just a few people from this thread.
<SNIP>
I could do the same to prove my point, but I won't bother.  Please note
that the proposition isn't the kind that is disproved by counter
examples.  If one person posted that he was taught never to use a goto,
and someone did, then my proposition is true.  And, obviously, the
person that wrote the code in question was also an example.

<SNIP>
>> btw, this is my last reply in this thread. i've wasted enough time
>> on this.

And if only everyone else has taken AJS's advice. :-) Even he didn't.

> And that makes sense:

>> Code is really a matter of personal taste,

Actually, that isn't true.  If Software Engineering is really
engineering then it can't be a matter of personal taste.

Designing a bridge (engineering) cannot be a matter of personal taste.
Even I, an electronic engineer, was taught enough ME to know what was
wrong with that bridge.  And, yes, software has killed people.

> To be honest, the whole point of this discussion seems to be:
>
>> Well try to take a positive attitude towards flame wars.  I don't
>> take them seriously and, therefore, tend to find them entertaining.
>>  :-D

> And you certainly must know who said that.

You are taking a factitious remark out of context.

> The problem is, many people DON'T like flame wars.

Then they shouldn't participate in them. :-)

> And it seems we are wasting our time entertaining you.

People have free will.  I am not forcing anyone to post to this thread.

> You might think you're doing a good thing - and maybe, on some level,
> the first few emails did show some people GOTO's aren't that evil.

When I posted this, I intended to have a serious discussion.  As I am
sure you can understand, it takes other people to have a serious discussion.

> But I think that purpose is long gone, and we're just entertainment
> now. While many have better things to do.

Yes, you are correct that this thread should have ended some time ago.
It has not really become a flame war but it, or at least parts of it,
has degenerated into something less than a useful technical discussion
(some of it looks like a pissing contest).  IIRC, you are the
psychologist.  Perhaps you can tell us all why that happens?

So, I will do as you suggest and not reply to any more comments.  If
someone actually wants to continue a technical discussion, they can
start a new thread.

--
JRT