List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Case sensitive icon search vs. case insensitive icon search
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2007-07-30 9:24:55

Thiago Macieira wrote:
> James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> The Icon Naming Spec requires that icon names be lower case.  However, I
>> find that some apps contain icon names with upper case letters.
>>
>> This issue could be simply addressed by making the search for icons case
>> insensitive.  Would it be difficult to implement this?  I note that with
>> other searches that there is often a choice and that case insensitive is
>> the default.
>
> We can lowercase any icon name requested by the application. But the icon
> *files* should still be all-lowercase.

A specific example is that Acrobat Reader comes with an icon:
AcrobatReader.png and a 'desktop' file with that name.  So, the question
is simply if we can do a standard case insensitive search, so that
requesting: "AcrobatReader" will find both: "AcrobatReader.*" and
"acrobatreader.*".

So that we don't have to modify the installation of the application, yet
we can also make icons in various themes with legal (i.e all lower case)
names, or fallback to their icon(s) which would be installed as HiColor.

I found a few more icons on my system with mixed case names, so I
presume that there are others out there and will continue to be till the
spec achieves world domination.

--
JRT