List:       kde-devel
Subject:    easy-to-get KDE svn accounts (was: qt-firefox.. again!)
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2007-07-18 22:45:06

Ian Wadham wrote:
> I'm concerned that some script kiddy or an unscrupulous person with a
> commercial interest could slip in something nasty and not be detected
> until after release.
>
> Back in pre-history (late 70s) a US Air Force officer named Major Shell was
> charged with investigating the security of commercially-available operating
> systems for military use.  So he assembled a team of hackers and set them
> to work.  They found that it was ridiculously easy to penetrate any O/S,
> though the UNIX kernel stood up better than most.  Shell was later promoted
> to Colonel (kernel?) for his efforts.  Have fun with the puns, guys ... ;-)
>
> One of the things Shell's team did was to bluff the reception desks at
> suppliers' software labs, wander up to a screen in an office somewhere
> and stick a trapdoor into the code under development.

Hmm... but, what was the state of VCS back then? :-) Did they have
commitfilter and dozens of people reviewing (at least cursorily) every
change made to the code? Did they have *any* code review process that
wasn't dependent on the cooperation of the developers? (In fact, how
many companies have automatic commit messages even today?)

> It seems to me that a SVN account offers somewhat similar access, except
> that an attacker could be half a world away ...  It's just something to keep
> in mind, now that KDE is becoming larger in numbers of developers and a
> juicier target in the marketplace.

One difference (that is hopefully significant! :-) ) is that, as an open
source project*, anyone can inspect the source code for such holes, not
just a small group of developers.

(* KDE is of course Free Software as well, although that isn't crucial
for this point.)

--
Matthew
"A mouse is a device used to point at the xterm you want to type in."