List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: EBN: Copyright and License
From:       Andreas Pakulat <apaku () gmx ! de>
Date:       2007-07-17 9:14:40

On 17.07.07 19:03:54, Ian Wadham wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 05:49 pm, Brad Hards wrote:
> > It isn't that simple, because you (or I) can't license the code. Only the
> > the original author(s) can do so.
> >
> > So you need to track down the copyright holders, and seek guidance
> > on what license should be on each file.
> >
> So if I am an original author, what do I do?  Or maybe *that* is not
> that simple either.  How can I tell what licence I should have?

For KDE "core" libraries (kdelibs, kdepimlibs and so on) LGPL is a must.
Applications may choose freely their license as long as it allows to
link against lgpl code. Often people choose GPL, but its not a have to I
think.

> All I want to do is give my code to the world.  I thought I was doing
> that by using KDE as a publisher.  Does not KDE take care of this?

No, how should KDE do this? Its your code so only _you_ can choose the
license.

> Another issue, what is the significance of GPL v3?

Currently: None.

> Is KDE 4 adopting it?

AFAIK thats not possible unless TT changes Qt license to gpl2 or later
(its gpl2 only atm).

Any further license discussions should be done on kde-license@kde.org,
this is the wrong list for such things.

> According the my local Linux group, it is a "must have", but I do not
> fully understand why.

Then you should read the license and decide for yourself.

Andreas

--
Caution: breathing may be hazardous to your health.