List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Get global X events and save your environment!
From:       Gunnar Schmi Dt <gunnar () schmi-dt ! de>
Date:       2007-07-07 14:20:40

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hello,

On Samstag, 07. Juli 2007, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> Dne sobota 30 Ĩerven 2007 00:21 Stefan Kombrink napsal(a):
> > [...]
> > I wrote some basic Qt example - SynDock, mostly a thread class which
> > catches global X events via X Event Interception Extension (Xevie) and
> > emits some signals to inform about it.
> > The main issue using Xevie is that only one single client may connect.
>
>  Actually, the real main issue is that usually no client can connect,
> since it's disabled by default.

And if it is enabled, then you need to be really careful not to block
applications like screen readers or screen magnifiers that also use Xevie
(and have good reasons to do so).

For example, a screen magnifier could intercept the following keystrokes:

Windows+Plus: increase zoom
Windows+Minus: decrease zoom
Windows+Arrow key: move the displayed area in that direction

Alternatively the screen magnifier could try to use global shortcuts, but
by using XEvIE they work even if currently a menu is open.

Concerning the problem that only one application can use XEvIE at a time
there exists a solution on the Gnome desktop. Basically the AT-SPI
registry (which is part of Gnome's Corba-based infrastructure for
assistive technologies) uses XEvIE and lets the assistive technologies
handle individual events.

KDE will not use the Corba-based version of AT-SPI. Trolltech is currently
implementing a similar DBUS-based protocol. We do not have any code for
XEvIE handling yet on the KDE/Qt/DBUS side.

> [...]
>
> > My idea is to make a KDE daemon out of this code which could be useful
> > for a bunch of apps (kopete/ksynaptics/kscreensaver/amarok/...)
> >
> > I do not have the necessary KDE knowledge but I am willing to help
> > with what I can.
> > Is there any demand - anyone interested in such a daemon?

If you decide to write a DBUS daemon around XEvIE, then we need to make
sure that it allows assistive technologies to add requests like those
above. In my opinion using the same protocol as Gnome's AT-SPI registry is
not worth the effort, but of course we need a way to make the two
solutions cooperate (e.g. by patching the AT-SPI registry to be aware of
your DBUS-interface).

Gunnar Schmi Dt
--
Co-maintainer of the KDE Accessibility Project
Maintainer of the kdeaccessibility package