List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KPluginInfo and KService, Using scripts in Plugin selector?
From:       Michaël_Larouche <larouche () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-07-04 23:00:58

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On July 4, 2007 04:56:15 pm Duncan Mac-Vicar wrote:
> During aKademy I started to play with Kross and Kopete. Especially one of
> the things I wanted to see is creating plugins like message filter without
> having to go trough the hazzle of creating a c++ skeleton (usually copy
> pasting one of the simpler ones). So I managed to get working something
> like a plugin that reverses a message with 3 lines of ruby.
>
> This was implemented as a plugin, so the script selector would be in the
> scripting plugin settings. Not good for usability. I have seen applications
> make difference between scripts and plugins, why should the user care?
>
> Discussing with Rafael and Aaron, they also agreed here.
>
> KPluginSelector works with KPluginInfo, and KPluginInfo does not seem to be
> to coupled with the concept of shared libraries. Has anyone any pointer how
> could we use ktrader and the service infrastructure to make no difference
> to the user between loading plugins and scripts?
>
> thanks,
> Duncan

> >> unsubscribe <<

I would say create a new service type called Kopete/Script and create a
desktop file for the script with the required information. With the right
query, KTrader will find all the script.

Using KPluginInfo::property() method, you will be able to use whatever
information you need to load the script.

--
Michaël Larouche
KDE developer working on Kopete, KDevelop4...on dial-up :P