List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Get global X events and save your environment!
From:       Stefan Kombrink <katakombi () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-06-29 22:21:03

Hi there,

  For a pretty long time now I was in search for global X events for one of my
projects - ksynaptics.
KSynaptics runs as a daemon thread and polls the keyboard state to disable the
touchpad while typing.

I've looked at how other apps implemented it and found that:

 * indeed quite a few app needs similar functionality

 * you'll need to code Xlib directly (both Qt and KDE cannot do that)

 * many implementations seems like copy&paste

 * apps using low poll intervals rank high on intels powertop

I wrote some basic Qt example - SynDock, mostly a thread class which
catches global X events via X Event Interception Extension (Xevie) and emits
some signals to inform about it.
The main issue using Xevie is that only one single client may connect.
I'd like to use Xevie since it is a very efficient way for me to get informed
about when the user starts and stops typing.
Please have a look at the code and try it out for yourself.
If you have syndock (ksynaptics) installed compare it to EvieDaemon using
powertop

My idea is to make a KDE daemon out of this code which could be useful for a
bunch of apps (kopete/ksynaptics/kscreensaver/amarok/...)

I do not have the necessary KDE knowledge but I am willing to help with what I
can.
Is there any demand - anyone interested in such a daemon?
Who is willing to help?

Greetings,
 Stefan >8^)

--
Warning! Insufficient or missing coffee in module "STOMACH".
User halted.

["SynDock.tar.bz2" (application/x-tbz)]