List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: How to package kde apps?
From:       Andreas Pakulat <apaku () gmx ! de>
Date:       2007-06-28 14:49:25

On 28.06.07 16:10:18, Lorenzo Bettini wrote:
> Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> >> yes of course I meant the the autotools files generated by kdevelop
> >
> > <nitpick>
> > KDevelop doesn't generate the autotools files either, the admin dir
> > comes straight from KDE's kde-common/admin and the Makefile.am's are
> > hand-written. That stuff is just copied to the target dir.
> > </nitpick>
> >
> >> as I said in a previous post, before upgrading kdevelop (and
> >> regenerating the templates) not even make dist used to work...
> >>
> >> probably now also the make distcheck issue is solved...
> >
> > Oh, then I misremembered and misunderstood :) I thought you still had
> > problems. I guess the reason it works now is that KDevelop doesn't ship
> > its own admin dir, but instead uses teh one from KDE 3.5.
> >
> > So to conclude: nevermind :)
>
> well I don't know whether I still have problems with make distcheck
> since I haven't tried since then...
>
> so kdevelop does not create the admin dir?  or did I get it wrong?

KDevelop has two admin dirs, one that helps building KDevelop itself and
another one that is included with the appwizard and turned into a tarbal
when installing KDevelop (and is contained in the binary packages in
distro's). These latter admin dir was manually-copied from the first
one at  some point in history. Of course it got outdated and wasn't
updated often. So before the 3.4.0 release we changed that, so the
appwizard-admin dir is fetched from the same place as the admin dir for
KDevelop and all other kde modules (its kde-common/admin, using
svn:externals if that tells you anything). So now if make distcheck
fails for a newly created automake project, it'll fail for all KDE3
modules (unless that project template has a bug). So its rather easy to
know which is the case: Just run make distcheck on any other KDE module,
if that works the project template is broken (and you can file a BR
against that in kdevelop). If it doesn't work report to KDE and they'll
fix the admin-dir in kde-common, so on the next KDevelop release you'll
automatically get the fix for new projects.

Existing projects need manual updating by extracting the new
admin.tar.gz from share/apps/kdevappwizard into the project.

Hope that clarifies.

Andreas

--
You will overcome the attacks of jealous associates.