List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Working on KDE3 or KDE4?
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2007-06-22 21:18:17

Joshua Rogers wrote:
> Hello All!
>      I was wondering if it would be better for the community for a newbie (
> READ: me ) to try bug busting in KDE 3 or to try and find / bust bugs in KDE
> 4.  I suppose I just want to try and do whichever one is most productive for
> the whole.

I would recommend working on bugs filled against KDE3 (and older if they
still exist), and testing them for reproducibility against the current
KDE-3.5 BRANCH.

We really need to clean up BugZilla and make sure that all valid bugs
are reproducible and that all non-reproducible bugs are closed as such.

Currently, TRUNK is too unstable for you to bust bugs against it.  If
something works in TRUNK today, it may not work next week.  So, make a
list of the valid and reproducible KDE3 bugs that you have triaged and
then when the KDE4 Betas and RCs come out, check to see if the bug
exists in the current prerelease version of KDE4.  If so, upgrade the
bug report to be against KDE4.  If not, then mark it fixed.  But, keep
watch on it to make sure that it is still fixed in the release.

--
JRT