List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Writing a KJS debugger for an embedded environment...
From:       seemanta () gmail ! com
Date:       2007-06-19 6:55:48

On 6/19/07, Harri Porten <porten@froglogic.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sun, 17 Jun 2007, seemanta@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > I am planning to write a GPL'ed KJS debugger which will be based on
> > the existing Debugger() class provided with KJS source.
>
> Nice!
   [Seemanta] Thanks a lot for your Response !!

> > From the existing implementation of KJS Debugger() class, I can see
> > that normal debugger operations like breakpoints, attach, detach etc
> > are possible. I have a feeling that a full fledged debugger can be
> > made to work.
>
> Yes.
>
> > The documentation for debugger.cpp says that the interfaces are still
> > not finalised and are subject to changes.
>
> It has not changed for a while. No promise of the future but no short term
> changes are planned.
>
> > So I was just wondering if there are other people who already have
> > successfully tried writing a KJS debugger so that I can avoid
> > re-inventing the wheel ;-) Or if not, useful insights would
> > help me a lot.
>
> I had been using this and similar interfaces and believe they are indeed
> sufficient.
    [Seemanta] Have you used the actually used the debugger interfaces before ?
    Oh, you mean you wrote a similar debugger yourself ?

> > I am sure a debugger is going to be helpful, especially for an
> > embedded environment.
>
> Are you thinking of an out-of-process debugger which communicates with the
> core via a network socket maybe? That's something I consider to be an
> approach with some potential at least.

    [Seemanta] Yes, I actually thought of that. A network transparent
debugger would really    be nice and powerful.

> Harri.
>
> P.S. kfm-devel@kde.org might be a better forum to discuss this topic.

    [Seemanta] Thanks, I shall subcsribe to this list as well.

Codito ergo sum.
( I code, therefore I am)