On Sunday 10 June 2007 23:54, Thomas McGuire wrote: > Hello, > > On Sunday 10 June 2007, Constantin Berzan wrote: > > Hello list, > > I have recently started on KDE 4 development, so I've got lots of things to > > learn from you ;) > > > I'm using KDE_DEBUG=1 to get a core file, and load it in GDB. > Why not use KDevelop for debugging? Much more convenient. See > http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Set_up_KDE_4_for_development#KDevelop Thanks for the suggestion, I will probably do that with my next distro upgrade (my GDB is too old in Kubuntu Edgy). Besides, I kind of like VIM =) > > > There seems > > to be a lot of "loading of symbols" from various libraries, and what > > remains of my meager 693MB of RAM gets filled-up very fast. Then the system > > starts swapping and after a few painful minutes I get the gdb prompt and > > can finally issue "bt". By that time more than half of my swap space (1GB) > > is in use. > > > > I was wondering whether you know some way to avoid this high memory usage. > > Is it possible to get a backtrace without all those symbols loaded? Or how > > do I skip loading some symbols, libQt3support for example, which I'm sure > > I'm not using? > I unfortunately don't know how to load less symbols, I would use that myself I > guess. > > > If there's a quicker way to get the first part of the backtrace (the first > > 5 frames, for example), without caring to know the rest, I'd be very > > interested to know that as well, since that can usually point out where the > > problem is. > KDevelop does the "show only 5 frames" thing automatically. > > I can only recommend getting more RAM. I only had 384 MB before, and debugging > was a horrible experience. Now, I've got 2 GB, and everything is quite fast, > no swap used at all. > > Regards, > Thomas > > > > >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe << > -- http://ascending.wordpress.com/ >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<