List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Debugging with less memory?
From:       Thomas McGuire <thomas.mcguire () gmx ! net>
Date:       2007-06-10 20:54:40

Hello,

On Sunday 10 June 2007, Constantin Berzan wrote:
> Hello list,
> I have recently started on KDE 4 development, so I've got lots of things to
> learn from you ;)

> I'm using KDE_DEBUG=1 to get a core file, and load it in GDB.
Why not use KDevelop for debugging? Much more convenient. See
http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Set_up_KDE_4_for_development#KDevelop

> There seems
> to be a lot of "loading of symbols" from various libraries, and what
> remains of my meager 693MB of RAM gets filled-up very fast. Then the system
> starts swapping and after a few painful minutes I get the gdb prompt and
> can finally issue "bt". By that time more than half of my swap space (1GB)
> is in use.
>
> I was wondering whether you know some way to avoid this high memory usage.
> Is it possible to get a backtrace without all those symbols loaded? Or how
> do I skip loading some symbols, libQt3support for example, which I'm sure
> I'm not using?
I unfortunately don't know how to load less symbols, I would use that myself I
guess.

> If there's a quicker way to get the first part of the backtrace (the first
> 5 frames, for example), without caring to know the rest, I'd be very
> interested to know that as well, since that can usually point out where the
> problem is.
KDevelop does the "show only 5 frames" thing automatically.

I can only recommend getting more RAM. I only had 384 MB before, and debugging
was a horrible experience. Now, I've got 2 GB, and everything is quite fast,
no swap used at all.

Regards,
Thomas