List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Debugging with less memory?
From:       Constantin Berzan <exit3219 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-06-10 20:32:27

Hello list,
I have recently started on KDE 4 development, so I've got lots of things to
learn from you ;)

I'm using KDE_DEBUG=1 to get a core file, and load it in GDB. There seems to
be a lot of "loading of symbols" from various libraries, and what remains of
my meager 693MB of RAM gets filled-up very fast. Then the system starts
swapping and after a few painful minutes I get the gdb prompt and can finally
issue "bt". By that time more than half of my swap space (1GB) is in use.

I was wondering whether you know some way to avoid this high memory usage. Is
it possible to get a backtrace without all those symbols loaded? Or how do I
skip loading some symbols, libQt3support for example, which I'm sure I'm not
using?
If there's a quicker way to get the first part of the backtrace (the first 5
frames, for example), without caring to know the rest, I'd be very interested
to know that as well, since that can usually point out where the problem is.

Thanks a lot in advance.

--
http://ascending.wordpress.com/