List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDesktop 3 transparency patch
From:       Dennis Kasprzyk <onestone () opencompositing ! org>
Date:       2007-06-07 2:26:45

Am Mittwoch, 6. Juni 2007 22:45:48 schrieb Lubos Lunak:
> On st 6. Ĩervna 2007, Dennis Kasprzyk wrote:
> > The first one allows you to change the opacity of the background image.
> > This works currently with the beryl transparent cube and will also work
> > with compiz once the transparent cube gets applied. To activate the
> > feature add the following to your kdesktoprc:
> > [Background Common]
> > BackgroundOpacity=90 (0 = fully transparent / 100 = opaque)
>
>  What is the reason for modifying KDesktop (and Nautilus and whatnot) to
> use the ARGB visual instead of simply using _NET_WM_WINDOW_OPACITY or even
> better just adjusting the opacity in the compositing manager and not having
> to modify the desktop apps at all?

Beryl already modifies the opacity of the desktop window, but the problem here
is that also the icons get transparent.

> > The second feature allows compiz (and later maybe other composite
> > managers) to tell kdesktop not to paint the background image
> > ("_COMPIZ_WALLPAPER_SUPPORTED" x atom). In this case compiz is able to
> > paint a viewport dependent background or to make it even animated. This
> > feature looks for changes to the x atom, so that kdesktop will
> > automatically switch back to normal background if kwin gets started or
> > compiz stops to render the wallpaper.
>
>  Is this _COMPIZ_WALLPAPER_SUPPORTED written down somewhere? I don't see it
> anywhere in Compiz sources, and, if what's said about David Reveman's
> strictness is true, I probably won't. That's a rather ugly way to announce
> a feature support, it should be rather something like _NET_WM_SUPPORTED for
> CMs.
The wallpaper plugin and a patch for nautilus have been created Robert Carr
and I wanted also to provide a similar feature for KDE.
The problem is that there is currently no official spec for composite
managers. I think that _NET_CM_SUPPORTED would  be a good point to start, but
this should be discussed on the wm-spec list.

> Since we have library code for handling things like this
I don't wanted to change too many things.
> that'd also
> avoid the need to write specific X code for it potentionally including
> broken things like "XSelectInput (qt_xdisplay(), qt_xrootwin(),
> PropertyChangeMask);" .
Sorry but I didn't knew this.

Dennis