Hi all. I am hacking on kcron and it appears that KStatusBar::insertItem ie ... statusBar()->insertItem(i18n("Ready."), statusMessage, 1); operates as if it were KStatusBar::insertPermanentItem ie any attempt to later statusBar()->showMessage(text, 2000); is not displayed but can be verified by cout << qPrintable(statusBar()->currentMessage()) << endl; Removing statusBar()->insertItem(i18n("Ready."), statusMessage, 1); and the showMessage works as expected. insertItem is supposed to be a temporary text label allowing showMessage's Looking at the source of KStatusBar for insertItem & insertPermanentItem they use QStatusBar addWidget & addPermanentWidget ... which seems logical .... Am I barking up the wrong tree here or is the a QT4 anomaly ? Cheers (so green) Dave s -- The unavoidable price of reliability is simplicity. -- C.A.R. Hoare >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<