List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDesktop 3 transparency patch
From:       "Jos Poortvliet" <jos () mijnkamer ! nl>
Date:       2007-06-06 13:15:18

On 6/6/07, Dennis Kasprzyk <onestone@opencompositing.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> this patch adds support for real transparency to kdesktop. It adds two new
> composite manager related features. To activate the features kdesktop has to
> be started with the "--bg-transparency" option.
>
> The first one allows you to change the opacity of the background image. This
> works currently with the beryl transparent cube and will also work with
> compiz once the transparent cube gets applied. To activate the feature add
> the following to your kdesktoprc:
> [Background Common]
> BackgroundOpacity=90 (0 = fully transparent / 100 = opaque)
>
> The second feature allows compiz (and later maybe other composite managers) to
> tell kdesktop not to paint the background image
> ("_COMPIZ_WALLPAPER_SUPPORTED" x atom). In this case compiz is able to paint
> a viewport dependent background or to make it even animated. This feature
> looks for changes to the x atom, so that kdesktop will automatically switch
> back to normal background if kwin gets started or compiz stops to render the
> wallpaper.
>
> This patch is against the current kde3 svn.
>
> Regards
> Dennis

Lovely. But sadly, KDE 3 has been closed for development some time
ago, KDE 3.5.8 will only feature bugfixes. Unless they want to make an
exception, of course, but I wouldn't count on that.

Further, Kdesktop is already removed from KDE in KDE 4. So it's up to
distributions to pick up your patch for KDE 3.5.x, improving compiz
support. I recommend posting this patch at kde-apps.org, so both users
and distributions can grab it there for testing and inclusion. I know
several distro's that will be happy to include this, even though it
won't make it into the official KDE.

grtz

/superstoned