List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: cs # cs is not a typo
From:       Andreas Pakulat <apaku () gmx ! de>
Date:       2007-06-04 13:25:23

On 04.06.07 06:01:33, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> >> Why exactly is it a bad idea to install KDE4 in a users $HOME dir?
> >> (Except that running a full KDE4 session is just a bit trickier to
> >> setup). I'm doing that since about 6 months and its working pretty fine.
> >
> > I guess it's just another way to do it. I prefer to have KDE 4 as a
> > seperate user, mostly because it feels more seperate ;-)
> >
> You should run the desktop as a separate user account to avoid having
> issues with configuration files.

Thats easily avoidable by setting KDEHOME properly (and a few other
variables) and its not different from running a single app.

> However, installing in that account's home directory could possibly
> produce or hide bugs, so it isn't the best way to test new software.

What kind of bugs or problems are you thinking of? (I'm seriously
interested in learning what difference it could make where KDE4 is
installed to) The only think I could think of would be
access-right-issues, i.e. a file that is installed with user-read-write
access only. Are there other things?

Andreas

--
You look like a million dollars.  All green and wrinkled.