On Fr 25. Mai - 12:55:44, Holger Macht wrote: > On Fri 25. May - 10:49:00, Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote: > > On Friday 25 May 2007 10:39:25 Holger Macht wrote: > > > Hi, > > > > > > simple question, complicated answer. For whom is KDE designing for? > > > What's the target group? Maybe someone can help me answering it... > > > > > > I think that's the central question when designing graphical user > > > interfaces. It heavily depends on the point of view. For simplicity, I'm > > > categorizing possible target people into five major groups. Please don't > > > argue about the descriptions, you should get the idea... > > > > > > 1. Users. The most simplest users you might think of. Browsing, > > > writing, playing, chatting, that's it! The experienced GNOME user, > > > if you like to call it that way ;-) > > > > > > 2. Advanced _users_. Having an idea of what "configuration" is and are > > > willing to change something about their graphical user experience to > > > fit their personal needs. > > > > > > 3. System administrators. Knowing what a terminal is and how to use a > > > terminal based editor. Having an idea about what's behind the fancy > > > graphics. > > > > > > 4. Programmers. Everything has to be so that most productive work can be > > > done. "The desktop is some kind of IDE" > > > > > > 5. All of the above mentioned, making KDE so heavily configurable that > > > every distro and every company is able to customize it in such an > > > drastic way that it fits their own personal target group. > > > > > > I read several FAQs and papers from KDE usability but couldn't find an > > > answer to that question. Is there one? > > > > Did you read that one: > > http://wiki.openusability.org/guidelines/index.php/Introduction:KDE4_Vision > > Yes, that is what I was looking for. So the answer is indeed (5.) ;-) And with reading a little bit more, summarizing it, it seems that focus in going towards (3.,4.,5.) without excluding (1.) and (2.) ;-) And that's also how I currently see KDE development. Thanks! Regards, Holger >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<