List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: LD_PRELOAD question
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2007-05-24 12:19:34

On Thursday 24 of May 2007, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Lubos Lunak said:
> > On Monday 21 of May 2007, Dirección wrote:
> >> there, there is one that does not survive in KDE session itself:
> >> LD_PRELOAD    any idea why is this happening?
> >
> >  I think it is because the start_kdeinit setuid wrapper. If you remove
> > the setuid bit it should work fine. I have no idea how to solve this
> > properly though, without leaving KDE at the mercy of the broken
> > OOM-killer again :(.
>
> You can tell klauncher to re-add it via DCOP (setLaunchEnv), once it's up
> and running.

 We should probably find a universal solution for this, as this applies to
more LD_* stuff (LD_LIBRARY_PATH comes to mind). The wrapper could even
restore them itself, the slight problem is that the list of reset vars for
setuid apps is hidden somewhere in libc sources and grows over the time. An
obvious solution could be dropping the wrapper, but I'd prefer not to - this
cluebat actually makes OOM conditions to be handled quite fine :(.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer