List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: SVN question
From:       "Thiago Macieira" <thiago () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-05-23 15:14:13

Thomas Baumgart said:
> I have a question which I try to get an answer for. It's simple and I
> thought I could solve the problem myself, but it seems that I am too dumb
> for such an easy task.
>
> I want to know in which released version I find the following change:
>
> http://websvn.kde.org/branches/KDE/3.5/kdelibs/kio/kio/kfilterdev.cpp?view=diff&r1=296573&r2=296574
>
> Can someone please explain to me, how I would do this?

Actually, that's not an easy task, so your question is valid. Don't beat
yourself over it.

Unlike CVS and some other version control systems, tags and branches in
Subversion are handled by copies. And unlike other version that use
copying too (I can think of Perforce and svk), Subversion doesn't track
where a file was copied to.

So, in Subversion, to find out where are all the copies of a certain file,
you need to do a very exhaustive search. Hopefully, upcoming versions of
the Subversion server will facilitate this task (as soon as 1.5.0).

In your case: you want to know which KDE release contained change 296574.

Go to http://websvn.kde.org/tags/KDE/ and look at the releases that are
there. The CVS repository was converted on r409210, so all tags with a
later date contain the change you want. For the other ones, go into the
tag then kdelibs/kio/kio/kfilterdev.cpp and check the file's last
modification.

For example,
http://websvn.kde.org/tags/KDE/3.1.2/kdelibs/kio/kio/kfilterdev.cpp?view=log
says:
Copied from: branches/KDE_3_1_BRANCH/kdelibs/kio/kio/kfilterdev.cpp
revision 200485

That means KDE 3.1.2 was released before 296574.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358