List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Patch: Idea for saving power on laptops
From:       "Tobias G. Pfeiffer" <tgpfeiffer () web ! de>
Date:       2007-05-18 20:39:12

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi!

On Friday 18 May 2007, 17:04, BtbN wrote:
> Am 18.05.2007, 16:59 Uhr, schrieb Florian Hackenberger
> > What do you think?
>
> What about apps like IRC-Clients? They need to respond to pings.
> And I think, there are much more apps who need to do things in the
> Background all the time.

Florian describes a situation where he only needs to have a look at the screen
once in a while, so he is actually not actively working and we are not
talking about "background processes" but something like "suspend and awake in
less than a second". Why not have a tool where you press a key combo, click
on a certain window and *then* kwin sends SIGSTOP, maybe replacing the window
content with some special image saying "program suspended" or so? You could
then, by clicking on that window body once more, send SIGCONT and continue
reading/working/etc. By that, you have to make an explicit decision to put a
program to sleep and that will probably be less error-prone.

Bye
Tobias

--
follow the penguin...