List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Patch: Idea for saving power on laptops
From:       Randy Kramer <rhkramer () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-05-18 18:03:50

On Friday 18 May 2007 10:59 am, Florian Hackenberger wrote:
> Why not just SIGSTOP all processes belonging to invisible windows while
> running on battery and SIGCONT them as soon as they become visible again?
> And it certainly saves some power.

Does it?  I mean, I wouldn't assume that--don't processors have to run at
certain minimum speeds doing NOPs if nothing else, and RAM has to be
refreshed periodically even if it is doing nothing.

Did the laptop actually run cooler, or do you have some other objective
confirmation that power is saved?

Randy Kramer