List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Worried about knewsticker
From:       jos () mijnkamer ! nl
Date:       2007-05-12 9:36:58

On 5/11/07, Ritesh Raj Sarraf <rrs@researchut.com> wrote:
> Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>
> > On Thursday 10 May 2007, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> >> I haven't contributed a single line of code but still was worried as a
> >> user if this really is going to be removed. IMO knewsticker is one of the
> >> great apps of KDE that I use. It 24/7 keeps scrolling on my kicker.
> >
> > i think the big question is how it should be done. imho, best would be if
> > akonadi handled the actual rss feeds and knewsticker became a small GUI to
> > view those.
> >

> KDE 3's biggest asset is the number of changes the user can make to
> customize it to his taste.

No reason to expect KDE 4 to change that.

> I brought Knewsticker as an example because that is something I heavily rely
> on to catch up on news. Is keeps scrolling at the bottom of the screen and
> keeps catching my attention now and then.
>
> I'm sure Plasma would bring some really cool features with it. But it is a
> humble request to keep killer features (like IMO knewsticker) available as
> an option to those who want to use it the way it is currently in KDE 3
> (Just like Dolphin and Konqueror available as a file-manager)

We simply can't keep KNewsticker, as it depends on infrastructure
(kicker) which just doesn't exist anymore. Someone has to port it to
plasma (and, with help of Akonadi, that shouldn't be too much work as
soon as both are ready - which isn't the case yet). I dunno if there's
a knewsticker maintainer, if not, you might need to volunteer to do it
if you want it in KDE 4... Yes, this is a disadvantage of introducing
huge changes to underlying technology. A lot of porting has to be
done, and in some cases, there are victims due to lack of
developers(interest).