List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: What is KDE policy on supporting eash version?
From:       "David Jarvie" <lists () astrojar ! org ! uk>
Date:       2007-05-10 13:29:14

On Thursday 10 May 2007 12:42, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Am Donnerstag 10 Mai 2007 schrieb Lex Hider:
>> Hi,
>> Can someone point me to a link that sets out for how long we support
>> each
>> version.
>>
>> I want to know the answer to question like:
>> Is 3.5.6 the only currently supported release?
>> Is 3.5.X no longer support on release of 3.5.X+1?

The successive 3.5.x versions are just bugfix releases (although in the
special case of 3.5, some limited feature improvements have occurred in
the last 2 or 3 versions). So, for example, there is no separate support
for 3.5.3 as compared to 3.5.6 - if you want the latest fixes for 3.5.3,
simply install 3.5.6.

>> Is 3.X no longer supported on release of 3.X+1
>>
>> [PS - I don't necessarily want people to answer these questions, but
>> provide where such things have been written down online.]
>
> We only "support" the latest version of each major release. So we release
> security patches for 3.5.X, 3.4.X, 3.3.X. But we accept bug reports
> usually
> against X-2, but only for the latest major release. Does this answer your
> question? :)

Bear in mind that the support which coolo refers to will be largely
limited to security fixes for versions earlier than the current 3.5.x
series. I doubt whether many developers now apply bugfixes to 3.4.x, let
alone 3.3.x, especially considering that the 3.5 series has been current
for a year and a half.

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author & maintainer.