List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: build environement problem on KDE4
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-04-30 10:52:52

On Monday 30 April 2007, Michel Hermier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed something *strange* in the environement setup proposed on
> http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4 to build kde4.
> It is said to use .bashrc to setup the environement, but this is
> annoying since this file may be skipped if you log on an interactive
> shell (tty).
> So maybe the file should be rename to .profile (late configuration of
> the environnement) or something else ? Unless it's wanted so that
> kde-devel can't build from a tty console ?

This is just yet another reason why I recommend not using .bashrc for this at all,
but the cd_function that sets the environment when entering the kde4 environment.
Then it doesn't matter how to become that user (tty login, X, su, ssh...),
and you can even avoid having to deal with two users, and do everything (kde3 and \
kde4) as ONE user.

http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Increased_Productivity_in_KDE4_with_Scripts#Set_up_for_development