List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: broken KDE installation (what'd I do?!)
From:       Dominik Haumann <dhdev () gmx ! de>
Date:       2007-04-07 15:58:53

On Tuesday 27 February 2007, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> > Yike! It looks like I broke something major yesterday when I did a
> > fresh 'make clean && make && make install' of kdelibs-3.5-svn. When I
> > try to run KWrite, I get the a dialog with the message:
> >
> > "A KDE text-editor component could not be found; please check your KDE
> > installation."
> >
> > ...and then it crashes with this:
> >
> > Using host libthread_db library "/lib/tls/libthread_db.so.1".
> > [Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
> > [New Thread -1208105280 (LWP 1864)]
> > [KCrash handler]
> > #6  0x00ff3214 in KWrite (this=0x8856888, doc=0x0) at kwritemain.cpp:90
> > #7  0x00ff6cf6 in kdemain (argc=2, argv=0xbff3ede4) at
> > kwritemain.cpp:660 #8  0x080486b2 in main (argc=2, argv=0xbff3ede4) at
> > kwrite.la.cpp:2
> >
> > The only output I get is:
> >
> > kio (KSycoca): Trying to open ksycoca from
> > /var/tmp/kdecache-mwoehlke/ksycoca
> >
> > I have been running KWrite with svn kate-part before (in fact, what I
> > am trying to do is test changes to kate-part :-)). The only other thing
> > I can think of that changed recently is I built and installed kdesdk
> > from svn. I *don't* have a complete svn package suite installed; libs
> > and arts (and now sdk and base), but that's it. I *do* have a full
> > 3.5.5 installation in a separate location that is also in my KDEDIRS.
> >
> > Suggestions...?
>
> D'oh! While I'm not sure I'm comfortable with this answer, it turns out
> it is at least partly bash's fault... bash had hashed 'kwrite' to my
> 3.5.5 version. After clearing the hash (so that I am running the svn
> version instead), "kwrite" runs again, so the crisis is averted... but I
> still wonder why I used to be able to run 3.5.5 kwrite and suddenly have
> to run the svn version.
>
> (Ok, the other thing I should mention: I also uninstalled my distro's
> subversion and neon packages, I have much newer versions built locally
> but my 3.5.5 would not know about them. Does kwrite indirectly pull the
> subversion libraries in a way that might cause this problem?)

I have the same issue now and did not figure out yet why.
My environment variables are:

export KDEDIR=/home/dh/kde/run/kde4
export KDEDIRS=$KDEDIR
export QTDIR=/home/dh/kde/qt-copy

export KDEHOME=/home/dh/.kde-devel/kde4
export KDETMP=/tmp/kde4-dh
export KDEVARTMP=/var/tmp/kde4-dh
export KDESYCOCA=$KDEVARTMP/ksycoca

export QT_PLUGIN_PATH=$KDEDIR/lib/kde4/plugins:$QT_PLUGIN_PATH
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$QTDIR/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$KDEDIR/lib:$QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export PATH=$KDEDIR/bin:$QTDIR/bin:/usr/bin:/bin

unset XDG_DATA_DIRS
unset XDG_CONFIG_DIRS

I can run apps like konqueror/dolphin. I've done a clean build and ran
kbuildsycoca4. It still does not work.

Thanks for any pointers :)
Dominik