List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Shall we be pedantic?
From:       "Mark A. Taff" <marktaff () comcast ! net>
Date:       2007-03-31 20:51:44

On Saturday 31 March 2007 12:23:39 David Faure wrote:
> On Saturday 31 March 2007, Gunther Piez wrote:
> But some 3rd-party libs that we use fail with -pedantic, so I don't
> recommend that we tell everyone to use it - in particular I don't think the
> wiki should recommend it.
>
> Individual developers who understand the implications of -pedantic
> can/should use it (I do, dirk does, WAndre does), but I don't want to see
> new developers on #kde4-devel with errors due to a ';' or a ',' too many in
> some 3rd party lib... Don't make their life more complicated than it
> already is ;)

Thanks David, and the others who responded as well.  Seems being pedeantic in
the cmakekde function isn't the best idea for general use.  It now seems to
me the best place is for it to be set in individual kde modules/applications
as the maintainer see fit.

I wonder if we can test for gcc/g++ in a CMakeLists.txt, and only then set
the -pedantic flag.  Have to do some research. :-)

Thanks,

Mark