List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Wanted: Maintainer for Konstruct
From:       Philippe Rigault <prigault () oricom ! ca>
Date:       2007-03-27 14:23:38

On Tuesday 27 March 2007 08:06:21 Stephan Binner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm obviously missing time and motivation to update the versions installed
> by Konstruct between the KDE releases, to hunt/track problems on distros
> I'm not using/familiar with and not even thinking about, extending it.
>
> Is anyone interested in continuing Konstruct (for KDE3 at least)? :-)
>
> Bye,
>    Steve

Hello Steve,

First, let me thank you for maintaining Konstruct so well until now, I have
found it extermely useful in all my work.

I am certainly interested in helping Konstruct not only stay afloat, but
evolve with KDE4 and towards a better build system. I am not yet very
familiar with cmake, but I anticipate that certain non-kde parts of Konstruct
will have to maintain compatibility with GNU auto* tools for a while, so
Konstruct for KDE4 will likely be a hybrid cmake/GNU-tools, right ?

One of the areas where Konstruct could be improved in my opinion is through a
better integration with distros. What I mean by that is that building KDE
from sources should not necessarily require building all its dependencies
from sources as well, especially when those exist in an up-to-date version
within the distro. I find that for RedHat/Fedora, a lot of things have
improved during last three years concerning the packages provided by the
distro, and it is now possible to use many KDE prerequisites (glib, lcms,
imageMagick, openEXR, etc.) directly, so I now always end up modifying
Konstruct Makefiles dependencies lists.
This scheme could be achieved by having scripts + config-files that build the
list of dependencies in a distro-specific way. that would be a first pass
(pre-building KDE) that asks the user if he wants to:
 - use the distro's version (install it if necessary)
 - build its own version within konstruct

I would like to hear other people's suggestions about where Konstruct should
be headed.

Finally, what about ressources and commitment ? So far, I have used and
contributed to Konstruct (up-to 3.5.6) mostly by myself as my work allowed,
and only on Fedora x86_64 (i386 also, with less emphasis), deploying it
locally in the company or university lab I was in, but I got more and more
busy with other things. I may be in a position to commit substancially more
ressources to Konstruct and KDE in the near future (in 3-6 months), including
hiring a full-time KDE developper in the group I lead, to both develop KDE
bioinformatics applications as well as working on KDE4 and packaging. And I
would be able to run konstruct on Fedora, Debian and Gentoo. If that plan
goes through, then I surely could take on Konstruct. I can't commit to this
today though.

Best regards,

--
Philippe Rigault