List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: encoding autodetection
From:       "Jacob R Rideout" <kde () jacobrideout ! net>
Date:       2007-02-19 23:19:50

> when i said kmail i meant mostly guessing encoding of subject.
> but as i see it picks wrong encoding only if charset is not specified in Subject: field
> (while it should use encoding from Content-Type: in such cases)

I agree that this should be the proper behavior for kmail.

We are confusing two things, user input and reading files (or incoming
data/email, etc.) In the first case, The encoding is known, any input
widget for text in KDE will likely use QStrings internally and store
the text as in 16bit unicode strings. Language Detection, in this
scenerio, is "unnecessary" since the user knows what language is being
used. However it is a small (or large for some) usability gain, for
multilingual users who switch between languages and don't want to
manually change the language used every time. For files, you are
right.

> > Also we shouldn't be handling the data
> > in a char array, a QByteArray should be preferred..
> QByteArray is undue. i want my code to be fast (and easy to read).

I share Thiago's opinions on the matter.