List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: encoding autodetection
From:       "Jacob R Rideout" <kde () jacobrideout ! net>
Date:       2007-02-19 1:20:43

> > so, i wanna add statistical encoding detection for cyr languages.
>
> As far as I got it, there is the new Sonnet engine to deal with this kind
> of stuff in KDE4, worked on by Јаcob Rideout, in kdelibs/sonnet.

Sonnet is the right place to put encoding detection. The language
detection module that currently only works with unicode (language
models are stored in utf8) since it has been optimized to work with
QStrings. Modifying the current language detection to provide encoding
detection shouldn't be too hard, since libtextcat uses the same idea.
I can explain how the code works if you want to do this. It is low on
my priority list for the moment; life has been tossing me around a lot
lately.

Jacob