List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KListView, Dolphin and usability
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2007-02-16 20:17:08

jos poortvliet wrote:
> Op Friday 16 February 2007, schreef Matthew Woehlke:
>> Mark A. Taff wrote:
>> Ideas: What if it were possible to open a folder in 'iTunes/Amarok'
>> view? That is, details view where the columns, instead of 'type',
>> 'size', etc are things like 'album', 'track', 'artist', etc? Now, expand
>> this so that it uses some sort of configurable meta-data system that is
>> plug-in aware. So as another example, I can open my photos directory and
>> the columns would be 'date taken', 'subject matter' (e.g. 'family',
>> 'nature', etc, the point is the category and values are user-defined),
>> 'edited' (a user-defined flag), and so on. And, of course, any of these
>> can *also* be used as categories in other view modes.
>
> You can come a long way with kparts and strigi, I'd say... A special
> filesystem isn't really needed (tough it might help - but the only candidate,
> Reiser4, might never make it into the kernel...). I think the biggest problem
> is how much time can be devoted to integrationg the capabilities of strigi
> etc into the applications, which should lead to further enhancements in
> strigi etc.

Huh? I never said anything about a special file system. I said it would
be awesome if we could leverage metainfo (strigi? ;-)) and/or special
'index files' (or whatever other technique) to present user-defined file
metainfo, ala categories, details-view columns, etc. I don't think I
want to use kparts (at least, not as I understand them), I want the file
browser to have a way of leveraging metainfo itself. Libraries are free
to help /provide/ that metainfo but I'm not sure that is something
kparts would do(?).

I agree that the FS could help do such things, however.

--
Matthew
"I like to think of it as 'unplanned dissonance'" -- A fellow chorister