List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE3 in a shared lib
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2007-02-14 12:36:04

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 14 February 2007 01:52, Matthew Allen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got an xlib application that I want to make "kde compatible" in the
> sense that it'll use KDE settings when running under KDE but happily run
> outside KDE as well. To do this I used to just read the relevant config
> files and parse out information like global font settings and colours etc.
> But this is kinda hard to maintain and not really the smart thing to do. So
> I've given that up and written a little shared library that directly links
> to KDE's libraries, so that I can use the KDE api's to query the infomation
> I need. In the case that my app is running under KDE it can dynamically
> load my little add-on.

In some cases it might be easier to create a helper KDE application, which
gets all the information you need and passes it back to calling application
as its output.

Of course the disadvantage is that it takes longer than using a library, but
it is also more robust, since a crash of the helper can't crash your
application.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring