List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KListView, Dolphin and usability
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-02-14 10:16:28

On Wednesday 14 February 2007, Peter Penz wrote:
> Hi Rafael,
>
> > At #kde4-devel we had a long talk about the next topic: "Should user be
> > able to position icons wherever he/she wants?". i will explain a bit more
> > what we talked about, and the most important part of our talk:
> >
> > 1) Peter, as Dolphin initial developer: it seems that Konqueror needs some
> > love. Probably we can have some parts for Dolphin and then move them to
> > Konqueror, since Dolphin seems to be pretty good adapted to this new times
>
> I was not aware about a discussion at #kde4-devel about this topic, but
> regarding Konqueror and Dolphin one of the main goals is to share as much
> code as possible. We replaced already a lot of Dolphin proprietary code by
> the well tested kdebase/libkonq code.
>
> At the moment Konqueror uses the obsolete classes K3IconView etc. As soon as
> they are replaced by the Qt4/KDE4 counterparts Konqueror and Dolphin use the
> same code base -> I think there is no need of _moving_ Dolphin code to
> Konqueror: If both use QListView (KListView?) in combination with KDirModel
> and KFileItemDelegate any improvement on those classes will show benefits in
> both applications.

Yes, that's the current situation. But I was wondering if we shouldn't make a KPart
around the dolphin views and use that for filemanagement in konqueror.
No moving, just wrapping. To share code at an even higher level.

Well I still think we should move dolphin to kdebase anyway, among other reasons
so that it gets ported to kdelibs api changes along with the rest ;)
But that would probably mean longer `cmake` times for you.

Anyway; I agree with you, about sorting out the basics before thinking about categorization.
I'd love to hear what you think about "the user being able to move the icons" though,
since the opinions on this topic were quite diverse...