List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE 3.5.6 & KDE 4
From:       Ian Wadham <ianw2 () optusnet ! com ! au>
Date:       2007-02-08 5:13:42

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 02:27 am, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> sorry, i wasn't clear enough. i meant doing this for translations, not bug
> reports in general.
>
> i'm really unconvinced that doing it for bug reports would help much other
> than increase mail volumes, but it sounds great for translation efforts.

If you have a relational database that records items of work and who is
doing them, it is fairly easy to use it to keep track, in a simple way, of
any kind of work.  At my last place of work, we had such a system to
keep track of hardware problem reports, help desk enquiries, bug
reports, program maintenance and program development.  As far as
I can recall, it was one of my employer's smaller systems.

The idea I proposed would generate one message per month per
maintainer at most, to which he could respond by clicking Reply and Send.
If no response, then someone could see if a new maintainer  is needed.
It could probably be tuned so as to leave out maintainers who have been
active within the past month.  We have several maintainers on KDE Games
who have been inactive for years and it is now a big job to track them
down before proceeding with KDE4 conversions and upgrades.

My idea was also aimed at preventing bugs from staying at their initial
status (NEW?) for long periods.  If maintainers respond to bugs within a
reasonable time frame, even if only by changing the status, they would
get *zero* extra messages from the scheme I proposed, and the bug
reporter would be kept informed, instead of feeling helpless or getting
discontented with a KDE application.

All the best, Ian W.